November 10, 2014

Origami Fortune Teller Cootie Catcher for Critiques and Assessments

I don't know about you, but I am prone to 3 AM brainstorms. You know, you can't sleep because your brain is going a mile a minute with ideas. Maybe you haven't experienced this yourself, but if you are a teacher or creative person you will understand. Many of my best ideas come to me during this time and I have taken to typing notes in my phone and attempting to decipher them in the morning.
Well, I had one of these brainstorms and followed through with it immediately.

I somehow stirred up a memory of a cootie catcher and thought it would be a fun way to have students talk about artwork and assist them in engaging in artistic conversations and critiques.

Rough Draft
When I got to school, I got on youtube and figured out how to make one. I labeled all the parts on my rough draft and then made one that I can edit and print. I figure I can make variations  of these, print on different colored paper, and have the students fold them for other students to use. I plan on having a box of them for students to grab when they get done to talk with a partner about their artwork.
Editable Version available in the SHOP!
Of course, it wouldn't be any fun unless I shared them with you!
Head over to my TeacherPayTeacher site and get the free blank copy. Or for a few bucks you can upgrade and get a set of 3 (blank, write your own and/or type your answers.)

Ok, this was a 5 AM brainstorm, but it woke me up regardless!
 
Have you had 3AM brainstorms before? How would you use a fortune teller in your classroom?

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea...and I know a "few" kids who know how to make them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could easily put an origami lesson in with it too! But I know the cootie catcher versions exists!

      Delete

Popular Posts